Friday, May 11, 2012

Anti-Mormon and other unkindness



"I cannot read everything that’s been said here because it’s a lot and seems to be somewhat redundant in that you each have what you consider an infallible truth… nobody here is changing their minds or learning anything.  The truth is that no matter what anybody says, you will simply come up with some other argument.
This is what I do not understand.  Why is it that anybody places so much energy into being against another religion?  Why would you simply not teach your own religion rather than finding fault in another?  Unless that is your religion, but then I ask, why?
God is love, the greatest commandment is to love God, and the second is love thy neighbor.  What you do to your neighbor you do to God, this includes anger, hatred, contention, cruelty, judgment as well as service, love, generosity, the expression of kind words and charity.
I simply don’t understand a Christian’s logic in having negativity toward ANY other religion.  We are all individuals and we all make mistakes and say things we should not, but first, those mistakes are between that individual and God and second, those people are not dedicating any aspect of their lives to such unkindness."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Beth
    You are a girl after my own heart :) Like yourself I believe that we should not get too embroiled with those who will not listen, who don't want to accept our viewpoint, who want to tell us what we believe and feel unable to allow us to worship as we feel we are divinely inspired to do. I am LDS but a fairly recently convert (2008), I was Roman Catholic for almost five decades. I would never dream of speaking to another human being in the ways I have witnessed (sadly some of those were of our faith).

    I regularly "walk away" when it's clear that the Spirit is absent from conversations. Yet, I understand the frustration felt by some when we are bombarded with such rhetoric as you have already witnessed.

    It's sad to say that we live in a world where negativity and diversity is more newsworthy and where good works and common practices are low on the radar of some.

    Like yourself, I am puzzled at why so many people feel it is appropriate to bash another's beliefs. It's a sad indictment on some elements of society. We can only hope and pray that they see the error of their ways.

    Gospel Love to you and yours

    Josie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Josie,
      Thank you. I've found the responses toward my video on youtube have been very interesting. I've deleted a couple of comments that are strictly anti-mormon, but there are few people who you can see really sincerely believe they are doing the right thing by striving to teach mormons they are wrong.

      I simply wish it didn't have to be so negative.

      Thanks for your thoughts on this and Happy Mother's Day!

      Delete